Friday, July 30, 2010

Judgemental

We judge others by their actions. We judge ourselves by our intentions.

It's easy to sit behind our steering wheels and keyboards and point
out all the ways in which others are deficient.

"You cut me off, idiot!"

When we bump into that same person on the street we're polite.

"Oh, I'm sorry!"

I think the difference is that the offender gets a chance to explain
and apologize.

I recently had an epiphany. I was in the mall and a woman walked into
me. I was angry. I felt she should know better. I felt she should
think about me. I felt she should be aware of her surroundings.

A few minutes later a little boy bumped into me. I asked if he was ok,
made sure his parents were nearby, smiled and said goodbye. I felt
like I helped someone who clearly didn't know better.

That's when I realized the woman probably doesn't know any better,
either. My world will be a happier place the less I expect others to
be and think and act like me.

Incidentally, you parents frustrated by your kids need to ask why
they're doing the thing and teach them what to do differently. Did you
forget what it is like to be a child? They don't know any better.

Here's the thing. We can't know what another's intentions are unless
we ask him. I recommend doing that.

The one thing I'd most like to change about myself is the way I judge
others based on arbitrary details such as their dress, their grammar,
their neighborhood, the car they drive, etc. Let's leave the judging
to God. We are unqualified.

1 comment:

  1. Before judging a person, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you pass judgement - you'll be a mile away and have their shoes. :)

    [On any other blog, I'd have to explain that's a joke. Once again, your intelligence saves my day.]

    My initial reaction was that you are being too forgiving of others and not cutting yourself enough slack.

    After rereading your post, I think I understand better. It's not that we should let everyone off the hook for mean, rude or inappropriate behavior. We just shouldn't set expectations. Rather, enter situations ready to learn what others bring to the table.

    Any of us can make a mistake or say/do the wrong thing. The point is to enter any situation prepared to listen and learn, without expectations.

    Hope I'm close. I like it, in either case. It reminds me of a quote I read:

    "True forgiveness is not an action after the fact. It is an attitude with which you enter each moment." David Ridge

    ReplyDelete