Sunday, October 10, 2010

Single Point Urban Interchange

Some things I know, I'd rather not. For instance, I don't need to know what a single point urban interchange (SPUI) is.

Nevertheless, I became aware of this via exit6.org, a website thoughtfully created by the NYS Department of Transportation to explain what in blazes they've been doing to a very busy intersection near my home this year.

Today was the first I drove through the now completed SPUI. Obviously, I was successful, or I'd be unable to blog about it. As I entered the intersection, from northbound I-87 to turn left onto westbound Rte 7, I was initially overcome by curiosity and looked around to see the whole intersection. Panic ensued. If your eyes wander, it is very easy to believe that you are driving straight into oncoming traffic.

I regained my composure, found the lane I belonged in and focused on that. After having done so, I must say that the intersection is much smoother and more efficient than it used to be. I waited for only one stop light, and by knowing ahead of time which was my correct lane, there was no confusion. It was as if I was making an ordinary left-hand turn, except I didn't have to wait for oncoming traffic.

I am pleased. I remain displeased with the myriad rotaries DOT has been building everywhere, but the SPUI is a welcome improvement on a stressful driving experience.

1 comment:

  1. I agree. I had the same experience on Friday after work. It was much easier than I thought - even in heavy 5pm traffic. They got one right...

    ReplyDelete