Sunday, October 24, 2010

What Goes Around Comes Around

This expression has become hackneyed. Often a person who is wronged in some way will quote, "What goes around comes around," or something similar. He may believe he is being positive and taking his lumps in stride by wishing some ill befall his transgressor.

I believe the person in the above example has it backward. When I want good to befall me, I must be good to others first. In order for me to be treated well, I need to enter every interaction with the expectation that I will be treated well. I have to be grateful before I receive good treatment. Then, my expectations will be met. "A self-fulfilling prophecy," to use another abused and little understood expression.

Try it.

6 comments:

  1. How others treat you is their karma; how you react is yours. - Wayne Dyer

    You're absolutely right - if you go into a situation expecting the worst, that's exactly what you'll get. The energy you give is what you get back. You can't treat people badly and expect them to be good to you.

    Nor can you use being treated badly as an excuse to treat others that way.

    Occasionally, someone who you trust to treat you well falls short of your expectation. Should you be angry or look for revenge? No. Because in life, what goes around does come around. You react with compassion, forgiveness and kindness. That's your karma, and that will come back to you.

    The person who treated you badly? Whether they meant to or not, they've put some ugly energy out there. It'll come back to them. It just isn't your job to worry about when or how.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly. What I was driving at is average people take your last point and stop there, thinking by not reacting they did their part to make the best of the situation.

    At the moment, I'm sitting at Paesan's Pizza and thy always go way out of their way to help me here for two reasons: I'm always very nice to them and I tip the before I a
    Served.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I HATE typing on this effing phone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both karma and your phone are complicated. Most people aren't smart enough to understand either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes. But I do wonder why good things happen to people who are not doing good deeds. One of the wonders on the universe I suppose. (Wonder meaning "WTF" as opposed to "wow!" Although in some instances, both might apply)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It may appear that way at first, but I think there are consequences for violating certain laws of the universe. To get something and keep it you have to offer something of equal or greater value. I also think that people who gain at others' expense are never satisfied or truly happy.

    ReplyDelete