Sunday, October 10, 2010

Why Do I Still Need a Laptop?

I waltzed into the local Apple store on launch day and purchased the iPhone 4 with the most GBs. I haven't set it down for more than a few minutes since.

It does everything I need to do in a day, sometimes better than my MacBook. I get email, IM, txt, phone, Facebook, and Twitter messages all in one spot, with remarkably consistent user interface. Using Flixster I can browse theaters local to where I'm standing, view the Rotten Tomatoes ratings and IMDB articles related to the movies now showing. Then I can switch to Fandango and buy my tickets while I'm sitting down to dinner. I already have more games (and more favorite games) than I have for either my NDS or XBox. I buy and listen to more music. I read more, because I have several books strapped to my waist at all times, more access to blogs and internet news sources. I take more pictures, and for the first time have considered photo editing to get the most from them. Because Blogger can post from emailed entries, I can blog on the run. When I hear a new song and need to identify the artist, I pull out Shazam and click through to iTunes. When I'm lost (often) I can choose Maps or Waze, a social GPS.

But I still need my MacBook, on days like today, when I have a lot of typing to do, in-depth internet research, need to cross-reference between several applications and/or web sites. To interact with websites which are not mobile friendly, most often to place an order. When I need to maintain/backup my phone, or when I need to print.

This is the first I've used the laptop in weeks. To be fair, some of the things I couldn't do on my phone I did on my work computer in the meantime, but not many.

What kind of phone do you have? Why do you still need a laptop?

1 comment:

  1. I need a laptop because my iPhone gives me eyestrain (or iStrain).

    ReplyDelete