Tuesday, August 31, 2010

iPhone + BackBeat 903 Weirdness

I think this is the fault of iOS4, honestly. I'm sporting the very stylish and functional Plantronics BackBeat 903 bluetooth headset which pumps bass boosted tunage into my ear canals for almost an entire workday. I usually charge them at lunch time, or give them a rest if the office quiets for a little bit.
Plantronics BackBeat 903, image used without permission. Click here for manufacturer's website.

Notice the combination of ear-canal conforming soft rubber buds and battery-weighted, behind-the-ear hardware that keeps these bad boys fitted to my awkwardly sized/shaped ears.

I'm writing because I have intermittent problems with the headset controlling my iPhone. It has been puzzling and aggravating. When it works, I press the pause button when I need to talk to someone (annoyingly often, but that's another post), which stops the music—and this is neat—activates the microphone, which allows you to hear as if or better than your ears were naked.

That is, it's neat when it works. When it doesn't the music resumes after about three seconds, usually right in the middle of my conversation partner's sentence. As if talking wasn't annoying enough in and of itself.

On the call control side, it just works sometimes and not others. That's something that needs to be reliable if this is to be used for calls. Incidentally, the fit is secure enough to let one bud dangle if you need to use it in the car or any other time you don't want your ears obstructed. What would el Bobbo do?

When this happens, I turn off the headset, open Settings > Bluetooth and turn off bluetooth. Bluetooth fails to turn off at the first attempt and comes right back on after the little "I'm thinking" wheel spins for several minutes. I turn bluetooth off again, which works right away. After waiting a few seconds I turn bluetooth back on, wait for it to start detecting devices, and turn the headphones back on. The headset controls work again after this.

So, don't throw your headset away if this is happening to you. Praise be to Jobs that he deems justly to update the bluetooth software on iOS4 with a fix worthy of his eminence.

No comments:

Post a Comment