Sunday, November 21, 2010

Fairwell, Pasta Factory

I used to call this my "poverty diet." From now on it will be known as "eating responsibly;" that is, fiscally responsible.

Buying a new car six months ahead of schedule forced me to finance it. The terms of the loan are fantastic, but it's still an unwanted debt. Careful planning will enable me to pay it off quickly. There is no room in "careful planning" for dining out three times daily. Once weekly would be a lot.

Eating at home forced me to review the list of dishes I make well enough to keep me from sneaking to the drive thru afterward. As I pondered the issue, I nibbled on an easy-mac and watched "Hancock." There's a recurring theme in the movie called "spaghetti madness," which is supposed to be something "normal people" do.

I was raised by Italians. I love spaghetti and make it well. I had noodles and sauce in the cupboard, so I drove to my local supermarket for some ground beef, which I balled and browned and simmered in sauce for 15 minutes or so while the water boiled and pasta cooked. I call it spaghetti and meatlumps.

As I enjoyed my home cooked meal, I realized how much it resembled what I order at The Pasta Factory, except that it is much cheaper, tastes better, and I know for certain what the ingredients are. There really is no need to eat at The Pasta Factory, unless I'm away from home. Au revoir, mon cher.

No comments:

Post a Comment