Friday, November 19, 2010

My Phone, the Universe, and Everything

This is a blog about the interconnectedness of all things. Today, I left my phone at home. I was already running late, or I would have returned home to get it. Here's how the day unfolded.

Some background: I had several essential pieces of equipment break on my car the month it needs to be inspected. My options were empty my bank account for repairs and still have an old car, or buy a newer car. I picked up my new car Wednesday night.

When I arrived at work and caught up on messages, I realized that I needed to make an appointment for photos for my new auto insurance. The web site revealed a location very near to my apartment, so I called and set the appointment for 1pm.

Traffic was on my side, so I had time to run in and grab my phone. Uncharacteristically, I parked near the back door, because it's a shorter distance between my car and my apartment. While I was starting my car to leave, I looked up and noticed a maintenance truck approaching my old car, no longer registered or insured, which was parked around back. He was slapping some type of bright orange sticker on it.

Had I not left my phone I would have scheduled my photos for Saturday, and would never have seen the man. My brief and fleeting opportunity to speak to him about how long I have to dispose of the vehicle (and collect my belongings from inside it) would never have occurred. Call it what you want.

Peace

3 comments:

  1. This comment is from your friend: Congrats on the new car.

    This comment is from my inner insurance agent: Please tell me you left liability on the car, until you dispose of it. If not, that's a mistake, and whatever insurance agent told you otherwise should be shot on sight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Geico. I'm the agent. Fear me.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right. I'm sure you and the gecko have it all worked out.

    ReplyDelete